On the west side of Vågsøy, in the innermost part of Kvalheimsvika, which narrows and faces south, lies the fishing village Torskangerpollen. From the middle of the 19th century, people from large parts of Nordfjord gathered here for winter cod fishing. Many sea arches, or sea shores as they were also called, had been built. The distinctive fishing village is still there, but the sea otters no longer house fishermen.
Kvalheimsvika and Torskangerpollen were the best fishing spots for winter cod fishing in the district. Almost every year, the cod came in large quantities and many healthy fish and people from all over Nordfjord flocked here to participate in the fishing. Several had their own boat teams and some operated as tenants for boat owners in the sea villages. During the fishing season, many boat teams from the inner parts of Nordfjord had a permanent presence in Vågsvåg and Torskangerpollen. They had their own houses here which they called havstover, but there were also those who rented from permanent residents. In the years when fishing was annual and good, there were many people in the North Fjords who owned sea streams on built-up or well-established land. For a time there were quite a few of them.
The oldest building permit known from Vågsøy was written by Peder P. Bang on 6 September 1756 to Rasmus Josephson and concerned a house, boathouse and a piece of outfield in the farm Våge. Torskangerpollen is part of the farm Våge. The youngest bygsel letters were printed as late as 1914-15. Then there was a boat team from Alsåker and Hundeidet in Eid who received a building permit for a site for sea stoves and boat trips on Myrestrand in Torskangerpollen. The tuft was on 9 x 5 cubits with boat support on the south side and a platting on the north side. The basic fee was NOK 8 per year.
It was otherwise the merchant in Vågsberget, Peder P. Tonning (1738 - 1811), who really accelerated the development of the fishing village in Torskangerpollen. In the period 1772 - 1784 he built away land for seven sea estates. But there may be more of us. The Arch of Death to Tonning in 1812 fortified four tufts. His successor on Vågsberget continued with the removal, and in the period between 1812 and 1823, it is said that he had removed 20 tufts to the sea shore. Most to boat teams from Eid. The content and terms are very similar for all these bygslebreva. In between, the landowner usually took away the right of first refusal for houses.
The oldest sea house known in Torskangerpollen is the one that the brothers Anders and Ingebrigt Kråkenes built in 1863. It was a sea house with accommodation on the second hill. There were both boathouses, skerries and sea arches here before 1863, but this was the first with so-called lodging.
In the period between 1890 and 1920, there was an adventurous cod fishing in Torskangerpollen and Kvalheimsvika. The number of sea otters increased sharply during this period, and in the early 1920s there were 46 sea arches, eight boathouses and 20 dwelling houses with outbuildings in Torskangerpollen. In the 1920s, the annual cod fishery decreased and the number of visiting fishermen increased sharply. After this time, there has been no large-scale fishing in Pollen. The boathouses and sea streams were left unused and unattended. The decay set in, so that today there are many moss-grown foundations that remind us that there have been several sea shores, sea arches and boathouses. A large part of the sea otters are still taken care of. Those that stand to remind us of past times - a timeline of our fishing history.